Gas servicing and safety - ensuring your home is safe and healthy

Tuesday 06/02/2018


We are committed to keeping your home safe by carrying out regularly gas servicing and we need you to help us by allowing the service engineer access into your home to carry out these checks.

Carbon monoxide is normally caused when gas appliances like boilers, cookers etc. aren’t burning fuel properly, or if vents and chimneys are blocked. Coal, wood and petrol burning appliances can also create carbon monoxide.

It is important you recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, these can include:

  • headaches
  • nausea
  • dizziness
  • breathlessness
  • collapse
  • loss of consciousness


You can also check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.

If you have a solid fuel, gas or oil appliance fitted in your home but do not have a Carbon Monoxide Detector contact us on 0300 123 8080.

What to do if you suspect a gas leak or smell gas

Can you smell gas or do you think there's a gas leak? The first thing to do is to make sure that you stay safe, so please:

don't smoke
don't light matches or cigarette lighters
don't turn light switches or anything electrical on or off 
put out any naked flames such as candles 
open all the doors and windows 
turn off your gas supply at the meter 
call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999 to report a suspected gas leak. They'll sort out the problem and tell you what to do to stay safe 
If you suspect an LPG leak, ring the Calor Emergency Service on 03457 444 999.